Saturday, May 26, 2007

Spring Ski



Sking in the spring is one of my favorite ways to enjoy natures treasures. For one thing there are no lifts, so you have to work for your turns. Rising way before dawn, hoping for cold enough temperatures, the long journey begins. Today I am sking Augusta with Jasmine, Shelly and Jacks brittnay spaniel, who is one of my best friends and climbing companions. To bad she can't belay me, I'll have to work on that one. We are greeted by a clear and cold morning. The approach is enjoyable with a magnificent sunrise and frozen snow down low. Gradually as we gain altitude the conditions change and because of the storm that blew through last week we are trudging through six to eight inches of crusty wind blown snow in the summit bowl. Climbing becomes slow and arduous and we finnaly reach the summit at about ten oclock, nearly four hours after departing. I am a little apprehensive about the ski down, but enjoy the incredible views and some hot tea at the summit. The sking is variable in the bowl and I set off a pretty good sized slow moving sluff. Luckily, Jas is off to the side and out of harms way. As we descend the conditions become more stable and we enjoy some beautiful turns on the lower snow fields. Walking out, the sun is warm and the first wildflowers of spring are abundant. Another epic adventure!

No comments: