Saturday, November 20, 2010

best friend

My best friend, Jasmine, passed away yesterday. Some unknown illness took her in a matter of weeks. She was a loving soul and a constant companion. We hiked forty peaks together this season and had countless adventures in her eleven years of life. She was the perfect mountain dog, fearless, agile, athletic and never daunted by adverse terrain or conditions. She especially enjoyed sitting on the top of a peak scanning the incredible landscape below. She loved skiing in the spring and when it was time to go and I was clicking into my skis she became quite excited and would even yelp and squeal with joy in anticipation of the descent. Her favorite passion, however, was the relentless pursuit of chipmunks, squirrels and birds. She hardly ever captured one but was always game to give chase. Even though she was not trained as a hunting dog she would sense a hidden ptarmigan or grouse and freeze into the classic point pose revealing the hidden quarry. While we were hiking she regularly came back from her explorations to check on me and I got into the habit of saying this little poem to her. It seemed to soothe her and she would turn and happily trot off... "You're a pretty dog gon good little ol dog gon dog, dog gon it..anyway." I will miss her deeply.

6 comments:

Jaxincb said...

Your loss is deeply felt. The number of responses from her passing is overwhelming. I believe you too deserve the condolences they are giving. A lot of Jas' friends saw the wonderful spirit you instilled into her with your adventures. You lost more than a companion and a friend, you lost a part of yourself, a part of the mountains.

Be well,
Jack Gibbons

Unknown said...

Tom,

Although we've never met, I understand and feel your pain as if we were the longest of friends. My wife, Paige, and I lost our 14 year old black lab, Emma, this past week, and our hurt, like yours, is hard to describe. It sounds like Jasmine had a very long list of people that loved her. And it sounds like you gave her a wonderful life. She and Emma are clearly kindred spirits. All of Emma's friends have shared their "Emma stories" with us over the last few days, which prompted this blog post: http://www.paigeelizabeth.net/portfolio/.

I shared it with Diane, a dear friend for many years, and she shared your loss with me. Our thoughts are with you, and I'm sure Jasmine and Emma are chasing a ball or squirrel together somewhere.

Jodie & Paige

Unknown said...

My dear brother, I am so sorry. She got that last hike in to Green Lake....as if she had to do one last one before going. This brings deep sorrow and am so sorry for your loss. She was the most accomplished canine mountaineer on the planet and I know your adventures will never be the same without her. Over the years, my favorite days have been those that included an email with photos from you. There was always a shot of Jas, you had a way of capturing her spirit that was remarksable. My favorites on this blog are "Let's Cross Here" and "Puddle Paradise". I love you. Nonie

Jo Myers said...

Tom,

Deepest sympathies for the loss of your companion, your precious Jas.

Jo
(Diane's sister-in-law)

Linda Koch said...

Dear Tom,
I am so sorry for your loss of Jas. She was extraordinary. I have many beautiful memories of her. After all, it was with Jas I hiked my first ever peak! I am so grateful to have had that amazing day with her... with you! Two experienced mountaineers. I know she must have been wondering what was taking me so long...as she waited so patiently. My favorite photo is of her with my hat on. I had dropped it that day, you found it months later. I laughed so hard when I saw that shot of her. I'm so blessed to have known Jas. Tom, you were a wonderful companion to her, as she was to you. A special gift you were to each other. She was well loved, and she knew that. My heart is heavy for you today. I'm very sorry.

Linda

Unknown said...

Jas was such a big part of you for the last 11 years, you were and still are the best Uncle Tom. Xena and myself will miss her deeply. She was the luckest dog in the world. I think she is the most painted and photographed dog ever. Such gret adventures and memories recorded by you great talent. Love to you always, Jeannie